Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Letter

I thought I would take a moment to review the year 2007 for our family. At first Dan and I thought we wouldn't have much to write, but after talking about it, we realized we did have some things to share. We'll take a short (okay, I have a hard time being short), chronological walk through our year.

Early in 2007 Dan had a job opportunity present itself and he decided to pursue it. He was offered a position, but SWC (the school he has been at for the last 6 years) also offered him a new position. It was a difficult decision for us, but his love for high school kids mixed with the excitement of building a new school soon led us to stay at Southwest. Dan is now the principal at SWC in Chaska, MN. Sometimes he gets funny looks when he says "principal", so he decided to grow some facial hair to add some years to his "baby face." He commented that many women from the ages of 35-50 have really complimented him on his new look. . .he is unsure of how to receive this compliment:). Due to his new position, he is also pursing his master's degree in Educational Administration. I continue to be amazed at his ability to handle the stress and balance of his job, his master's program and our busy family!

Early in June, the boys decided it was time to take off their training wheels, so Caleb and Bennet were busy riding 2-wheelers all summer. This led to severe laryngitis for their mother who was constantly yelling at them to stop and wait before they crossed the road as Kylie and I tried to keep up!

July brought on vacations! We got to spend a week relaxing in northern MN with Dan's family--lots of fishing, board games and beach fun! Then toward the end of July we went to Colorado with the Vander Pol side and while we vacationed, we took in a cousin's wedding there. The adults enjoyed some hiking and the beautiful scenery, but when we asked the kids what their favorite part was they said, "swimming." (I am sure glad we drove 16 hours to go swimming:)).

August came and we began to get back into the busy routine of school. I began my third season coaching volleyball. I enjoy coaching volleyball and I love the girls, but lining up childcare was difficult this year.

The week before Thanksgiving Dan was able to go on his first missions/senior trip with his school. The seniors always go to the Dominican Republic; although Dan has wanted to do this in the past, this was the first time he was able to go because his new position and his master's classes convinced him to take a break from coaching basketball (he does hope to return to it someday). He certainly enjoyed the missions trip and I think he might want to do more in the future!

That brings us to December and Kylie's accomplishment of the year -- beginning to potty train! She decided it would be a great idea to wear panties like the rest of the family. Now I think instead of potty training, it should be called "mommy training" because although she cooperates with only a little bribery to go on the potty, she will have an accident if I do not remember to take her. Also this month we have been emphasizing to the kids that not everyone has toys. We were encouraging them to think of things we could do about this. Caleb came up with the idea that he wanted to buy a bike and bring it to the child we sponsor. This would be a great idea, but we would all have to fly to Tanzania. . .Bennet came up with another idea. He thought that since not everyone has toys, not everyone has babies either. So one night he said, "mom, I think you should have a baby every day and then give them to the people that don't have any babies!" Now there's an idea:)

We also are waiting in anticipation for the news any day now from Dan's sister and her husband who are expecting twins! The excitement about when they will come and what they will be feels like a big Christmas present this year! In February Dan's brother and his wife are also expecting a new arrival--the Beckering cousins increase to 7! Sometimes we would escape the busyness of the Vander Pol cousins and slip over to the Beckering side for a while. . .now we might need to call one of you:)

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a GREAT year in 2008!

No comments: