Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Letter

Hi Everyone--sorry for those of you who checked earlier for our Christmas letter when I actually sent out our Christmas pictures! Finally here it is:
“Let’s see, where do I begin?” I could talk about the fact that it is Christmas day and we are trying to determine if we are experiencing the storm of the century or if the meteorologists (weather terrorists as I like to call them) have caused great fear and panic over a good old fashioned Minnesota winter dusting. “Of course if I say that, then people would know that I am writing this letter on Christmas day which is socially unacceptable in many circles.”


“Let’s go this route.” Some things never change. All of us got older this year, partisan politics is alive and well in Washington, and the Minnesota Vikings have raised the hopes of their fans setting them up for the big, bitter, and enraging collapse. Yet, in this Christmas season of 2009 something of great change is occurring. After nine years of Laura’s suggestions, thoughtful requests, and urgent pleas, I have decided I should write this year’s Beckering’s Christmas letter. “Ok, that can serve as the intro. Now, should I say something more about the Vikings? No, I probably should talk about the kids.”

Almost six years ago Caleb and Bennet were born two months premature and spent six weeks in the Hospital before they were able to come home. Today they are energetic kindergarteners at Calvin Christian School who are very fond of learning, reading, and recess. They have even asked Laura to not pick them up so early from school so that they can spend more time with their friends. Although they do fight at times, the boys are hardly ever apart and seem lost without each other. They love legos, star wars (not sure why because they have never seen one second of any of the movies) and playing the Wii. Of course they are loud like their mother. They also possess the sensitive compassion of their father. The boys will turn six in January. “Man I am getting old…. Laura’s probably right about my receding hairline.”

Kylie will be four in February and is our little gymnast. She loves anything that has to do with jumping, dancing, cartwheels, and flying through the air. “I wonder how much money Mary Lou Retton made for her parents?” Kylie has a great imagination and is demonstrating strong leadership abilities. While playing dolls she demands that Laura or I be the kid so she can be the mommy who is in control. I am a little worried about how that is going to play out during her high school years.

Avery is our precious little girl who has finally decided that at 14 months she is ready to walk. She can say Daddy, Mommy, Ball, Puppy, Kylie, and Grandpa. She loves toothbrushes, laughing, throwing food and making huge messes. Other than being the cutest thing on earth, her most notable trait is the constant sucking of her middle two fingers. “How are we ever going to get her to stop doing that?” Avery is adored by her older siblings who carry her everywhere, sometimes by her neck.

Laura and I are doing great. With four kids at home, “I think we better quit,” Laura does an amazing job of holding our family together. She is truly gifted at being a wife and mother. Laura is enjoying the time she has with just the girls when Caleb and Bennet are at school but I know she is already missing the boys when she thinks about them going five days a week next year. I am in my ninth year at Southwest Christian High School and my second year as the Principal. I thoroughly enjoy most aspects of administration but am grateful to be able to continue to teach one section of AP US History.



“This is getting long -time to wrap it up. I wonder if people are still reading? I know…. I will do the rest in bullet points.”

• Spent a week in Florida with Laura’s parents in January. “Note to self, do that again.”

• Celebrated 9th wedding anniversary in June.

• Went to Elbow Lake Lodge with Beckering family in July.

• Moved into new home the last week of July. “Sure is nice to not have Avery sleeping in our closet anymore.”

• Dan went on school mission’s trip to Dominican Republic in November.

• Continue to rest in God’s grace and mercy every day.

We want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas. May the peace of Christ and the joy of His salvation comfort and sustain you in the upcoming new year.

The Beckering Family.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

awesome letter. Got to get mine out soon too. Talk to you tomorrow about coming home for Grandpa's funeral